Macro photography is maybe the most fascinating part of photography. It opens your eyes to a world that most people never can see. Taking photographs of small subjects in your house or in the nature, can be a life-long pursuit.
Macro photography is very technical, it must be approached correctly or you won’t be happy with the results.
If you are using a typical on-camera flash, the most part of the light will go over the subject, because this you will need an dedicated macro flash.
This ring flash is perfect for macro photograpy, the light wraps around the subjects as you can see in the images below.
DIY Macro Flash
Compatible with lenses that accept 58mm filters.
I use this macro flash with a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro USM 1:1 +macro extension tubes. The light is strong, enough to be use camera from hand. You can take pictures at 1/100, F6, and ISO 400 f6 in house.
Generated light is much superior to the macro ring with 72 LEDs.
Specs of the macro flash ring:
- Total current drain ~ 2.2Ah at 7.4V, (1x NB-2LH 7.4V/1200mAh LI-IO battery or indoor use 7V DC adapter with 2Ah)
- Temperature after 10 minutes is ~55-60 °C
- It is very lightweight: macro flash ring 102gr
- The circuit is designed to have two phases of light, full or half (only half of the LEDs light up)
- Range is 5-20cm, ideal for super macro.
- Emitted Color : White
- DC Forward Voltage (VF): 3.6 ~ 4.0 Vdc
- DC Forward Current (IF): 300 ~ 400 mA
- Reverse Voltage (VR): 5V
- Reverse Current (Ii): 5uA
- Temperature Co-Efficient: 0.04nm / Degree C
- Viewing Angle: 140 Degree
- Intensity Luminous (Iv): 90 ~ 95 LM
- 10pcs 6$ +1.10$ shipping
Copper Heat Sink:
- 100% brand new and high quality.
- Great for high performance or over clocked systems.
- Dissipates RAM heat improving its performance.
- Reduce the temperature of the memory by up to 35%.
- Compatible with all standards SD/DDR/ SDRAM.
- Effective size fits on all motherboards.
- High conductivity thermal adhesive tape.
- Dimension: 12 x 11 x 4 mm.
- 8pcs 1.49$ +shipping 2.99$
I recommend to build this ring for macro photography lovers. It's compatible with all brands of camera: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc.
You can download the project files of this DIY Macro flash here.
Another diy macro flash ring project with 72 pcs of regular LEDs.