MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) Solar Charge Controller is an advanced type of solar controller. They are designed to help solar panels charge one (or more) batteries at maximum efficiency.
So how exactly does MPPT work? (Maximum energy point monitoring)
Here is where maximum power point tracking comes in. Assume your battery have low voltage (12 volts), a MPPT solar controller takes that 18 volts at 7.2 ampers from your 120W PV panel and converts it down, so that what the battery gets is now 10 amps at 12 volts. Now you still have almost 120 watts. Thus increasing the efficiency of your PV system.
An MPPT regulator is a high frequency DC to DC converter, take the DC input from the solar panel change it to high frequency AC, and convert it back down to DC voltage and current that exactly match to the batteries needs.
What Benefit of MPPT?
- the efficiency of all MPPT charge controlis are between 93 in order to 96 percent
- the MPPT charge controller is advantageous in winters and cloudy days
- an MPPT sun regulator could be a beautiful an alloy with a grid-tied sun module
- Preventing reverse-current flow
- convert extra voltage into amperage
- MPPT charge controller will also largely eliminate an amount of power loss from a solar power system
- inferior gauge wiring could be used
- MPPT controllers cost a little more then regular solar charge controllers
While selecting a MPPT photo voltaic regulator, make certain these features can be found in the charge controller:
- Current & voltage regulation, PWM (Pulse width modulation) control, current compensation load disconnection, automatic load reconnection, and temperature compensation.
- Electronic Protection:- Over charging protection, deep discharging protection, reverse polarity defense against the module side and from battery side. Reverse polarity defense against internal fuse, short circuit protection, and also over current protection at module input, open circuit protection without battery, over temperature and also over load protection, and battery over current shutdown.
You will find various charge controllers all shapes and dimensions varying from 4.5 ampers models to 60 ampers. (12V - 48Volts)